Sunday, January 4, 2009

What are Friends for Anyway?

Whenever I learn to make something new, I always include my friends to suffer along with me. Remember the WonderUnder sweatshirts with the fabric design cutouts and glitter glue or puffy paint trim? I made dozens of them and gave them away - I'm sure my friends wore them, maybe not in public, but at some time. I knew they liked them by the deer in the headlight look they had on their faces after opening the packages. And the Christmas I made stained glass boxes for everyone ... I didn't intend for the lids eventually fall off! I'm still wondering what happened to that guy I cooked Swedish steak for during my "learn to cook" period. Hopefully he's out of the hospital by now.

This year I tried wood burning images of my friends' children onto plaques then painting and decorating them with lots of sparkles and shiny paints. The shiny paints look kinda funky with the camera flash reflecting off of them and look much cooler IRL.

I hope my new friends like them and don't mysteriously disappear off the planet like all of my old friends. But, where ever the old ones went, they sure had some spiffy sweat shirts to wear!



10 comments:

Terra said...

OMG, I am CRYING> THose are SO BEAUTIFUL. I want two, or three or 6 of them. Seriously. WOW! THat is amazing. Disappear...no way - puffy paint shirts (no thanks) but these are amazing. OMG - I could go on and on and on and on .... you are so very thoughtful, special, amazing in every darn way it is unbelievable.

Becky said...

You are too kind. Remember that they are practice pieces and a little "rough". I was experimenting with wood burning and new paints and trying different techniques. I will say they were fun to create and made with tons of love! You probably will get two, or three, or 6 - practice makes perfect!

Terra said...

Practice Shmacktice...they look beautiful...Vikki is going to cry too.

Paige said...

Wow Becky, I too really like those wood burning "experiments". I think you're on to something, really creative and they touch the heart.

Bonnie said...

Those are really beautiful Becky.. I would love to see them in person!

Becky said...

Paige - Thank you so much! I'm hoping to put that art book I got from the book fair to good use.

Jenni said...

Those are SO cool!

The Bailey Family said...

Becky...I wish I had a sliver of your talent, seriously. WOW -these are absolutely beautiful and so unique!! I know I’ve said it before, but you are amazing!!!

Candi said...

Those are so AWESOME! WOW! I want one.

I did the puffy sweatshirt thing too. I made one for my grandma and she actually gave it back to me years later and said she would never wear it so I may as well have it. Nice. :(

Peggy said...

I love love love them !!!!
So pretty !
Keep up the good work (once you're done with school !)